I heard this song on the way to work today…
Let’s take a quick look at the word “Friend.” It is Old English freond, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch vriend and German Freund, from an Indo-European root meaning ‘to love.’
Merriam-Webster defines Friend as:
- 1a: one attached to another by affection or esteem
- 1b. Acquaintance
- 2a: one that is not hostile
- 2b: one that is of the same nation, party or group
- 3: one that favors or promotes something
- 4: a favored companion
Urban Dictionary defines Friend as:
- Somebody who comes to your house and eats all of your food, (cheetos, doritos, pizza, etc.) and also uses your stuff with their cheeto dust hands.
I don’t think either of these definitions hit the nail on the head from the original root of the word – ‘to love.’
I am very fortunate and truly blessed to have a few very close friends that I know love me right where I am, are willing to speak the truth in love to me and call me on my crap (sorry mom) whenever I am going astray.
I would like to think that I am that person for them as well.
It is so important to have a few close friends in our lives. To know that I can go to someone and share a struggle, a temptation, ask about my blind spots or just talk to is invaluable to my growth as a human being.
My hope and prayer for each of you reading this is that you take a moment to be thankful for the true friend(s) you have in your life, and should you not have anyone that you feel you could call a true friend, then I pray that you allow yourself to be open to letting someone in that can become that person for you.